Poison Ivy Tips From Readers

Poison Ivy Tips From Readers
Designed by
All Rights Reserved

poison oakPoison Ivy Remedies and Tips

From Old Fashioned Tips Readers

Poison Ivy does not spread by scratching. It can only be spread by the oil from the initial contact, the blisters weep and most people think that this is something that contains a matter that will continue to cause an outbreak, what they do not realize is that they may not break out all at once.

The best thing you can do when you have come in contact with poison ivy is to first wash the area thouroughly. Something that is recommended to get the "oils" off is good old Dawn dishwashing liquid. There are many remedies that can be used after to affect the itching.

I use the old time remedy of Jewelweed or "touch-me-not plant that sometimes grows near poison ivy. I make a tincture of the Jewelweed in the summer after it has bloomed. I take the plant with the flowers, you can tell you have the right one because the flowers hang as if by a pendant, sometimes orange, and sometimes yellow, they grow wild mostly and can be found in ditches and waste places, they prefer moist soil but they really will grow anywhere and the flowers are really lovely. I put the entire plant material in a large jar and cover it with either white vinegar or everclear and let it sit for at least 6 weeks. Some folks have said they just pull the plant up and rub it on the poison ivy after they have been exposed. Either way, I have never seen a case where it didn't work.

It also works on other itches, such as mosquito bites, chigger bites and ticks. I have had a reaction recently to tick bites. It seems whatever they inject to anticoagulate the blood before they start to suck gives me a reaction that itches worse than chiggers. I have gone to the doctor swearing that the head or something was still there it itched so bad. It was just an allergic reaction. He told me to use cortosone cream and I did, but it didn't help and I could have torn my skin off scratching, instead just a cotton ball of the jewelweed did the trick, sometimes it must be used for a few days to get everything dried up.

What ever you use, please know that poison ivy does NOT spread by scratching. I have spoken to many doctors and I am a certified herbalist myself. If you scratch you only break open the blister, that is all, you cannot catch poison ivy from someone unless they still have the oil on them, not from the liquid that exudes from the blister. ~Kat

Jewel Weed rubbed on poison ivy is a great cure. (see another tip on jewel weed below) ~Mary Ann

poison ivyThank you Brenda, for the information on Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac. It is, indeed, nasty stuff. We have some of it in our back yard that we never noticed up until a couple of years ago. We use the "Roundup" to keep it under control.

I have had a reaction to it and the tip on a cool wet compress and sitting in front of a fan was exactly what I did so I know that works. It brought me some temporary relief until it finally healed. ~Shirley Lange

After my husband or I have had to work around poison ivy, we will use Bert's Bees Poison Ivy soap. Shower, rinse and the reapply and let dry. It doesn't smell too good, but it definitely will help lessen the severity of the episode. ~Betty (Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap)

Nancy's Tips

Hate to tell you this but these 3 terrible plants also grow in urban areas where the population is totally unaware. Many well landscaped theme parks have LOTS of it growing right onto the paths. The very best way to get rid of all 3 is GOATS. (See other note below)Short of the goats, another very sure fire kill 3 is Muratic Acid diluted 1 part to 2 parts water. Spray on the plants and leave until completely dead. Guess you can tell I am one of those who is very allergic.

There is an over-the-counter pill called "Poison Ivy Pills" made from the actual plant. They are smaller than a baby aspirin - more like a "pop rock" candy piece - and taste like sugar. These work well when taken very early in the spring and then throughout the season. They will also lessen the severity of an outbreak. They are also inexpensive! ~Nancy King (Hyland's Poison Ivy/Oak Tablets )

Judith's Helpful Discovery

For YEARS..when living Back East..I came in contact, every season, with poison ivy, ended up with rashes, blisters, whatever. As I've become an herbalist of sorts over the years, discovered there's usually a plant that grows near poison ivy in dampish areas called Jewelweed, or Spotted Touch-Me-Not., and THIS is the BEST remedy for poison ivy or sumac! To fully test the effects of Jewelweed, I actually HANDLED poison ivy, then pulled the plant, crushed the hollow, watery stalks, fully washed my hands/arm with the sap..and had NO rash appear thereafter! From that time on, the highly invasive Jewelweed was a coveted prize near my gardens, was used extensively on occassion.

For those who have poison ivy, no Jewelweed in immediate area, the plant may be found along streams, swamps, etc., picked, covered with a small amount of water, brought to a boil, cooled, then froze in ice cube trays til needed..the potency is there to counteract an impending rash, or one already in progress, by just rubbing the ice cubes over the area and letting it sit to dry. No calamine lotion available has the same effect!

Another "cure" I discovered when living in California, and happened to get saturated with what is called "greasy water" while panning gold in a slow running creek. THIS was poison SUMAC, the agony of the blisters was almost unbearable!, NOTHING touched it (no Jewelweed there!). Finally went to a health food store in Sonora, a tiny vial of pills was recommended, made by a company called Hyland. They were derivitives of POISON OAK AND SUMAC, knocked the blisters down right NOW, healing left NO SCARS (my hands/wrists were AWFUL!). It was advised these little pills be taken at one a day..starting in early Spring..to make the system immune to both these scourges...and they WORKED, used them for years, even had workers (of a tree service I was employed by) using them as they did a lot of land clearing, crews would contact the poisonous plants, be incapable of working for days, but once on these pills, had NO problem!

Just had to share this information with you in hopes it'll "ease the pain" for so many allergic to these plants. Simply remedies, very inexpensive, tried and proven first hand!~ Judith D. Key (Judith is a well-respected Master Gardener (Univeristy of Wyoming Extension Service); a maintenance person for several thousand xeriscaping plants and she isinvolved in herb growing, and has written numerous articles on various plant-related subjects. )

From Catherine, The Herb Lady

A second contact following a mild contact experience (in a susceptible person) will always be worse--due to the way the body reacts to irritations.

On Goats - goats will eat poison ivy and sumac with no apparent side effects - however, - humans coming in contact with them or drinking their milk - for a period after the contact - can 'get the itch' same as if they had direct contact! (For what it is worth, goat herders should not let their critters eat too much wild browse because it can taint the milk and give it that 'goat flavor' that some people don't like - we discovered that, along with keeping the goat does away from the bucks during lactation, making sure they have top quality feed is everything in the taste of the milk.)

 

For our main article on Poison Ivy click here

 

About The Author

Brenda Hyde is a freelance writer living on ten acres in rural Michigan with her husband and three kids. She is a mom, grandma, gardener, cook and writer. She blogs on all of these topics at Harvestmoongazette.blogspot.com.

 
 

Seasonal Feature
Summer Harvest Tea

Before the cool weather sets in, enjoy the bounty of your herb, flower and vegetable gardens by giving a Summer Harvest Tea Party. Plan your theme around the garden, invite friends and family. Don't make it a formal affair, but rather a way to celebrate everyone's gardens and share produce, flowers, seeds and advice.

Read More…
Home & Garden

Harvesting and Using Summer Squash

Summer squash is one of my favorite vegetables. I love the yellow summer squash in particular. They should be harvested while still tender, when they have a "glossy" appearance and are still small. You will most likely need to harvest daily once they start to appear.

Read More…
antibiotics online canadian drugs antibiotics antibiotics from canada