Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Old Fashioned Family Traditions: plastic grocery bags

Inactive Member
    Marfalump:
    Sounds like many things I do as well. I do use small wastebaskets though. To help me remember to put a new bag in, I took a cue from the amusment parks. I put several bags into the bottom of the trash can before I put the bag into it. When the full bag is pulled out and tied up, the next bag is pulled up and put into place. (actually, this is my daughters job, and it helps to remind her to not walk off without replacing the bag!).

I also use the bags to hang over door knobs when Im cleaning house. As I go through each room Junk mail, napkins, candy wrappers, stray toys (shhhhh dont tell), lost cottonballs, clothing price tags that accumulate on my dresser, etc. all get tossed into the bag as I move from room to room.

I've found that the best way to store these bags until they get used is one of those tubes made from material. They have elastic at the top and the bottom of the tube and a looped handle for hanging. You stuff the bags into the top and pull them out as needed from the bottom. I have one hanging right inside my kitchen pantry and another hanging in the laundry room upstairs so we never have to go far in search of a bag.

I use plastic bags for just about everything I also get alot of them from the supermarket. One thing I use them for is for dirty pampers I put the pampers in the plastic before I throw it into the regular trash to cut down on the smell. I also use it for when I peel veggies and fruits and I line the garbage bins inside the bedrooms and bathrooms with them. By time I finish using it for all that stuff I dont have hardly any left.
    Good idea on making a welcome mat with them I should try it or let my mother do it she is excellent at crocheting. I tried it when I was younger and never got the hang of it. But my mom is always making doilies for her house and mine.

I use plastic bags for just about everything I also get alot of them from the supermarket. One thing I use them for is for dirty pampers I put the pampers in the plastic before I throw it into the regular trash to cut down on the smell. I also use it for when I peel veggies and fruits and I line the garbage bins inside the bedrooms and bathrooms with them. By time I finish using it for all that stuff I dont have hardly any left.
    Good idea on making a welcome mat with them I should try it or let my mother do it she is excellent at crocheting. I tried it when I was younger and never got the hang of it. But my mom is always making doilies for her house and mine.

oh god imso sorry about that the website was acting up and it went through 3 times so sorry

Inactive Member

plastic bags

I tried the amusement park trick.(from CinCin's previous post) It worked at work, but never at home. There are 3 adults in the household, so I have no control w/ setting rules and such.

As far as Q-tips and clothing tags and small stuff like that, I do keep a miniature basket on my dresser (like the ones that are used for organizing desk drawers) Then every so often, I dump the basket in the plastic bag on the back of my door. There have been sometimes when the basket does come up missing, though. I accidentally throw it away. See... I'm not good w/ small wastebaskets!

I use the bag holder as you do. It's right inside my pantry hanging on the wall. But I am guilty of filling one bag w/ a load of other bags and shoving it at the bottom of the closet.

Never thought I'd have so much to say about plastic bags!

Inactive Member
    I know we've gotten away from the topic of crocheting with plastic bags, but in case anyone is still interested in that I discovered this link that has all the information you could need either on it or attached to it by link:

http://community-2.webtv.net/spclk83/PlasticBagCrafts/

Thumbs up

What cute ideas! I don't know how to crochet though . The only colored plastic bags I collect are brown, blue, and white with red print. Never ever saw orange, yellow, or pink before.
    ...God has not called us to see through each other, but to see each other through...

Smile

I posted this earlier on another thread but I'll repost here for those who are interested in an easy but cute way to store those plastic grocery bags.....

"I found a cute little girl dress about size 3-4 but you could use whatever size you want....I sewed across the bottom of the dress to close it and then tied coordinating ribbons around the bottoms of the sleeves so the bags can't escape. The dress I chose buttons up the back so I use this for the front of the bagholder for easy access. Hung it on a decorative hanger and voila! I chose a little calico frock that is gathered to the neck opening and it blends with our country decor."
    Debbie

"...sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast" ~~Lewis Carroll

Moderator Parlor Devotea mcgill's Avatar

Plastic

For what it's worth, has anyone ever thought of using them for medical purposes - arm or foot cast coverings to keep them dry? Paul wanted his "Bunyan" back from me so that when I go out, I cover it with a plastic bag if it's raining. Body warmth is generated to keep the area warm and protected from the elements. I have to be careful when I walk, because it's very slippery!!

Other than that, I simply give them to the food bank for their clients to use and keep a supply for my own purposes as well. One thing I have been doing is saving the plastic bags with no advertising on them and return them to a nearby convenience store for his use when he runs short. The colors are usually white, beige or charcoal. No-one know the difference, except the 2 of us.

Inactive Member
    Licia that brought back memories. When I was a kid I made a wreath like that but I used bags from the dry cleaners. I think I spray painted it green after it was done.

I use all my plastic bags. I have two cats and can't stand the smell of cat food once it gets old or empty cans so I use the plastic bags in the morning and by evening it all gets thrown out.

Publix has a recycle bin but I agree I wish they would make people bring their own bags.

Hey ladies can you imagine that up to a few years ago plastic bags where a rare occurance here? Even if they where available the store always charged for it, what is more people got RICH making them and selling them in markets or stores that sells little items...
    One of my first wonders in American lifes was how Publix bagged the stuff... Oh and I loved the bin where you could put the used ones for recycling.
    Now they are readily available, tough most of the stores are still charging for them, some of them are threing them after you.
    I always reuse them, lining wastebaskets, packing things etc. I wish the stores here would adapt the bin for recycling tough...
    Ann
    "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, therefore have some entertained angels unawares"

Inactive Member
    I use them for peelings, lining waste paper baskets, garbage pails and I take extra in the trunk of the car. I have one of those milk crates in the car and I put some in there. I like to use them to cushion eggs and bottles in the crate. We don't run out of them but we do use them. I even made a makeshift rain hat out of one of them when a storm caught me by surprise!

Smile JUICING AND BAGS

I HAVE A JUICER AND I LINE MY PULP CATCHER WITH PLASTIC BAGS TO KEEP THE PULP CATCHER CLEAN.

I USE THE BAGS FOR VARIOUS USES; WASTEBASKET LINERS, LUNCH BAGS, TRASH BAG FOR PEELINGS FROM VEGGIES & FRUIT, I PACK SHOES IN THEM FOR TRIPS.
    JUST A NOTE...I AM LEGALLY BLIND AND TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS.
    PSALMS 91

PLASTIC

HI ALL, WELL HAVE ENJOYED READING ALL THE WAYS YOU GUYS USE PLASTIC BAGS. I DO ALL THAT YOU HAVE SAID PLUS USE THEM TO CARRY MAGAZINES WITH ME TO THE DR'S OFFICE AS ALWAYS HAVE TO WAIT. ALSO USE THEM TO PUT SMALL TOYS IN FOR STEVEN 5 (G-SON) WHEN HE GOES TO THE DR'S TOO. AND USE THEM TO HANG SMALL PACKAGES OUT ON THE MAIL BOX WAITING FOR OUR WONDERFUL MAIL LADY. TAKE CARE ALL AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL. OH YES I AM TYPING IN CAPS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HARD TIME SEEING SMALLER FONT. GOD BLESS, PATTIG IN VA

Hi,
    If you have children (or you could do this yourself) you can put those plastic bags on their feet over their shoes when they go out to play in the snow or mud. Or if they protest about being able to see them, have them put the sack on over their socks and then put on their shoes. At least that way their feet would be dry. I just secure them with a loose rubber band above the ankle. Works great!
    I had never thought of braiding them into a rug, maybe if I collect enough I can do that. They don't usually last very long around here. The boys are always using them for stuff and they never come back!
    Blessings,
    Carie

Moderator Parlor Devotea mcgill's Avatar

Plastic

Carrieann: what you said about using plastic bags, I mentioned earlier for medical purposes. When I'm in concert next week, I'll be getting a couple of small black garbage bags to cover my cast so thai it will match my black shoe and trousers. I don't want to be too obvious to the audience!!

Inactive Member
    I used to wonder what to do with them all...I had so many..and this was after making trips to the store to recycle them, but they just collected so fast! But now I love them...in fact I am always low on them these days much to my dismay!! First I started using them for lining the trash containers in my 2 bathrooms...I also tuck a few extra in bottom of the container. That way I don't have to run and get one each time I take out the trash (every day). Then I found a smaller garbage container someplace...I think it was Target...and it has little thingies that extend on the edges for hanging plastic bags on...it is such a good idea!! So now I really use a lot of them...I line the kitchen garbage container, tucking a few extra in it too! Makes it so much easier to take out the trash...yes it is a smaller container than we used to use but I don't mind taking it out now as it is so much easier. I always hated to spend money on plastic bags for the kitchen garbage so I used paper grocery bags before...what a mess and so inconvenient (for years I expected my husband, kids and then husband again to do it and they all complained), but now I don't mind doing it myself as it's so easy and not messy. Too bad I didn't discover this earlier!

Cynamar
    I use them in small trash cans and to pick up dog doo, but still end up throwing a bunch away. I only save them in one bag. Any that don't fit get pitched. I have too much in my cabinets already and I would never use them all. I've never thought of donating them to anything.

Tea Cake Baker
    Believe it or not, my Bernina Club will be offering a class in how to make a raincoat with the thicker plastic bags that you get from the more well to do stores. I understand that you use their logos to advantage on the coat and line it with muslin. The class won't be until spring, but it should be interesting.
    I worked for the Bernina dealer here for about 5 months and while I was working there, a lady came in with a 'bag' she had crocheted from plastic bag loops. It was very sturdy and very pretty. By using the strips, you only see the colors and not the words printed on the bags. I checked on the internet and there are websites on here that offer the free patterns for these bags.
    I would be interested in the pattern for the plastic wreaths as I try to do holiday crafts with the grandkids, ages 6 - 14.
    Otherwise, I recycle the bags by taking them back to our Wal-Mart store and also our local grocery chain collects them. It's a pain, but anything to help the environment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information