Old Fashioned Family Traditions: Unusual Yard Art Items?

msjodi

Question Unusual Yard Art Items?

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY UNIQUE OR UNUSUAL YARD ART IN THEIR YARD? I ENJOY LOOKING AT YARDS AND VIEWING THEIR STATUES OR YARD ART THAT IS PLACED IN THEIR YARDS OR ON THEIR DECKS.

I HAVE AN OLD CONSTRUCTION WHEELBARROW WE FOUND IN THE WOODS NEXT TO OUR HOUSE; I PAINTED IT AND PLACED IT IN THE FRONT YARD AND BUILT A FLOWER BED AROUND IT WITH BRICKS; I PLANTED WAVE PETUNIAS IN IT THIS YEAR (PURPLE WAVE PETUNIAS); IN THE FLOWER BED ARE MUMS AND SHASTA DAISIES; IT SITS UNDER A LARGE PINE TREE SO I PLACE ALL THE PINE CONES IN THE FLOWER BED - I CALL IT MY PINE CONE FLOWER BED; I HAVE A GRAPEVINE WREATH PERCHED ON A POLE (THE POLE HOLDS A SMALL FLAG); I HAVE A PIECE OF AN OLD PLOW IN THE WHEEL BARROW NEAR THE WREATH; I WILL ADD A BOW AND RIBBON TO WREATH TO REFLECT THE SEASON. IN THE FLOWER BED ALSO IS A SPRINKLER THAT IS A FIREMAN; WHEN 9/11 HAPPENED, I PLACED AN AMERICAN FLAG IN HIS HAND AND PLACED HIM IN THE FLOWER BED NEXT TO THE WHEELBARROW - MY TRIBUTE TO THE FIREMAN (MY HUBBY IS A VOLUNTEER FIREMAN IN OUR COUNTY).

I ALSO HAVE AN OLD METAL VANITY STOOL THAT I PLACED IN A FLOWER BED; I PLACE A STOVE BURNER COVER (TURNED UPSIDE DOWN) AND FILLED THE COVER WITH WATER (INSTANT BIRD-FEEDER); I PAINTED THE VANITY STOOL GREEN.

I ALSO HAVE A MAILBOX AT THE BOTTOM OF OUR DECK AND DRIVEWAY FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO PLACE NOTES, ETC. IN IT FOR US; IT IS IN FRONT OF A SMALL ROCK GARDEN THAT HAS AN OLD-FASHIONED WATER PUMP THAT DUMPS WATER INTO THE BUCKET AND THE BUCKET DUMPS THE WATER; IT HAS A CIRCULATING PUMP THAT RECYCLES THE WATER. I HAVE A CERAMIC FROG, A LITTLE GIRL STATUE HOLDING A PUPPY; A CONCRETE OLD SHOE THAT HOLDS A PLANT. THE ROCKS ARE COLLECTED FROM FAMILY & FRIENDS ON VACATIONS OR SHORT TRIPS; THE ROCKS ARE MARKED OF LOCATION IT CAME FROM.

CARE TO SHARE YOUR YARD ART IDEAS?

Cool

OH MSJODI, YOU AND I ARE KINDRED SPIRITS FOR SURE. I LOVE YARD ART TOO. I HAVE A PAIR OF YARD PEOPLE. ONE IS A LADY I MADE FROM AN OLD PATIO UMBRELLA STAND. SHE HAS ON A PRETTY FLOWERED DRESS COMPLETE WITH PEARLS. A ROD RUNS THRU FROM ARMHOLE TO ARMHOLE AND GLOVES ARE ON THE END TO MAKE HER HANDS. A PLASTIC FLOWER POT IS TURNED UPSIDE DOWN FOR HER HEAD AND SHE WEARS A PRETTY STRAW HAT.
    HE IS MADE FROM A STUMP THAT LOOKS LIKE A PERSON, WITH SPLIT AT BOTTOM TO FORM LEGS. HE HAS ON A MAN'S FLOWERED SHIRT AND ARMS ARE MADE SAME AS GIRL. HE HAS A PAIR OF MY DH'S OLD BOOTS SITTING IN FRONT OF THE LEGS FILLED WITH TRAILING SEDUM. HIS HEAD IS ONE OF THOSE CUTE SMILING FACES YOU GET IN A GARDEN CENTER. EVERYONE JUST LOVES THEM. I'M JUST GETTING STARTED IN THIS NEW YARD, SO MORE THNGS ARE PLANNED AS SOON AS I CAN GET TO IT. HAVE A GREAT DAY.
    Mimi - GA
    Get rich quick...count your blessings!
    ~Unknown

msjodi

COOL YARD ART!

DENIRAE:

YOUR YARD ART SOUNDS CHARMING! MY HUSBAND IS A MECHANIC AND HAS A LOT OF OLD TOOLS LAYING AROUND AND HE HAS A WELDING MACHINE; I HAVE SEEN PELICANS MADE OUT OF OLD TOOLS AND OTHER "ANIMALS". IT IS VERY INVITING TO SEE A YARD WITH CHARM TO IT. READ MY POST ON SILVERWARE WINDCHIMES..

Talking

I love yard art too!!!

I found this neat log at my parents with
    unique shape and brought it home for my
    front flower bed-my husband thought I was
    nuts but it looks great!!!

I mooch things off family and friends too.
    "Oh, do you want that? I'll take it home for
    my garden!". LOL

I'll try to get some pictures.

Msjodi, I have an old wash tub that I use as a container planter. I also have a few sets of old yard tools that I have picked up when junking then I had DH tied three together (so far I have three sets) with twine and use for support of climbing vines may they be flowers or vegetables (they are in the shape of a V), I have an old shovel and found old hand tools and DH found pieces of of metal and I have a shovel man, I make signs out of old junk (most of my ideas I have found in garden books magazines ect)..most of these are still in storage and will be added to their new home next year.We just bought this cute little tin man at a local garden shop, it's so cute...I have a terra-cotta globe that I just purchased off the net, I love it, just set in the garden two days ago...I plan to get a watering troth for next year to plant annuals in...and of course I will keep looking...Oh, now that we live in the mountains, I have DH looking for big chunks of log to set around as tables, so far I have three in different spots, one has a beautiful container on it, with boccoa trailing out of it, one has a bird bath that is made out of two terra-cotta planters and a terra-cotta saucer...and one I just use for now to put my glass of ice-tea/and other things on as I am working.
    "Busy monster eats dark holes in the spirit world
    Where wild things have to go To disappear Forever"
    Bruce ****burn

msjodi

TWIG FURNITURE

LINA...I LOVE TO USE WOOD IN MY YARD ART. I WOULD LIKE TO CONSTRUCT A TWIG SETEE FOR A GROVE OF TREES IN MY YARD; I HAVE A GROVE OF TREES THAT ARE IN AN EGGSHAPE FASHION; INSIDE ARE DAYLILLIES AND OTHER PERINNALS; I HAVE AN OLD MAILBOX THAT I PAINTED AND STENCILED AND IT SITS IN THE CENTER OF THE GROVE ON A LARGE ROCK; I HAVE PUT SMALL YARD TOOLS IN IT; I WILL PROBABLY PUT SOME PLANTS IN IT NEXT YEAR; I THINK A TWIG SETEE SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT GROVE WOULD BE SO INVITING WITH A SMALL TWIG TABLE NEARBY TO SET A POTTED PLANT ON; I AM GOING TO PUT SOME WINDCHIMES IN THE TREES AND EVENTUALLY A WATER FEATURE IN THAT AREA. THE AREA IS TO THE LEFT OF OUR TWO-TIERED DECK AND IS A LOVELY PLACE TO LOOK AT WHEN RELAXING ON THE DECK.

Since I work in the marine industry and live on a lake, lots of nautical items catch my interest. I have a very small (one man) sail boat that is no longer "sea worthy" that I have converted into a planter. I placed it on a bank (like it just drifted up) drilled a few extra holes in the bottom for drainage, and planted it full of petunias. When people walk up to the house from the dock it greets them just before they reach the yard. I can also fly an American flag from the mast on patriotic holidays
    Gayla

Gayla, in the Tri Cities I had two row boats that were no longer worthy of water, one I made into a sandbox for the girls and they often ate their lunch sitting in the sand and using the seats for the table, LOL...their choice...the other we cut in half and dug it in to look like it wrecked...and I planted in the bottom half, and had trailing vines climbing the top half, when we sold the house, most people would comment on my garden first. Steve still thinks that the garden is what sold our home, LOL...

msjodi, you garden sounds so wonderful, I can't wait till my deck is done so I can work around that also...I forgot to tell you that we wound an old log/piece of wood on the land that looks like a bird getting ready to take off for flight, (it's pretty big) we are going to move it under a small grove of pine trees (we had to pull many out around the house to build and for the garden) and are going to plant bleeding hearts and Lilly of the valley pips there...can't wait to see what it looks like !!
    Bruce ****burn

All of you are so creative!

Any chance of taking pictures & posting them so we can see them! We have no yard art in our yard, I wouldn't even know where to begin! There isn't much of that around here!!
    Karla
    *Mom to Drew & Sarah*

I will take pictures and post them, but it won't be until after August... as I have this darn wedding to finish up, (youngest daughter) a wedding to go to next week, and trying to get things done around here to get ready for winter...
    Bruce ****burn

Inactive Member

Garden art

What fantastic ideas you all have for art in the garden. Mine is rather tame by comparison but we did have lots of fun and made several variations as Christmas presents last year. They are called hypertufa pots and are made as follows:-
    Thoroughly mix 1 part cement, 1part sand and 2 parts peat (by volume) Add water and mix to the consistency of dough. Then the fun and creativity really begin. You can use all sorts of things as molds- plastic buckets or bowls, cardboard boxes(supported around the outside with bricks),a hole in the ground even! I found that lining the mold with newspaper was the most reliable way of ensuring that the finished article would come out freely. Begin by placing something(s) in the bottom of the container to form drainage holes-I raided the childrens blocks! Then start pressing the mixture into the mold It needs to be a few cm thick (about 1 1/2 "). Work the mixture up the sides of the mold and before it gets to the stage of slumping line your pot with newspaper and fill it with sand to the level you have reached then keep adding more mix up the sides and topping up the middle with sand as support is needed. The finished article needs to be left 24hrs before unmolding after which it should be left about 4 days undisturbed to harden. You can get extra creative by adding stones or pieces of wood or beads or broken glass to the out side surface of the pot as you work your way up the sides. These will then show as decoration onthe outside of the finished article. Happy potting!

Thread Information